The original store was built in 1949 by Whitney Marchand. It operated under the name Marchand’s Floor Shop. The initial business was not operated as a retail store, but was used as a showroom for homes Whitney built. Once he retired from building houses, the showroom was transformed into a retail space. Marchand’s Building Specialties consisted of five departments: Hardware, Woodworks, Paints, Flooring and Custom Picture Framing.
Today, those departments have been condensed into three: Hardware, Flooring and Framing; and the current business operates under the name Marchand’s Interior and Hardware. The store has undergone many additions and improvements over the years but Whitney’s vision of providing great customer service while maintaining a family atmosphere remains at the heart of the business. In keeping the tradition, Whitney's son, Brian, along with his children Brentley, Tessa and Whitnee have stepped in and continue to manage the business under Brian.